If you have a Savannah cat, you know that this cat requires a combination of wet and dry cat food. We’re going to take an in-depth look at these beautiful cats’ diets, so you can ensure that you buy the best dry food for Savannah cats on the market.
This is our top pick for this breed, in case you’re in a hurry.
*This page contains affiliate links to products I recommend. If you purchase something from this page, I may receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you.
- ORIJEN Regional Red cat food delivers a diet rich and varied in fresh, whole animal ingredients from ranch-raised beef, wild boar, Boer goat, grass-fed lamb, Yorkshire pork, and wild-caught mackerel
- With 90% quality animal ingredients, ORIJEN nourishes cats according to their natural, biological needs
What Is The Best Dry Food For Savannah Cats?
Most adults and kittens are fed a mixed diet of raw high-quality dry cat food. When shopping for food, make sure that the first ingredient is a named protein, and the food is low in grains, especially, soy, wheat, gluten, and does not contain any artificial preservatives.
Avoid foods that use filler byproducts and ingredients that are only identified as “meat.”
Most commercialized dry cat food you find at your local Walmart or Target will NOT be sufficient for your feline friend.
The most important thing to remember is that all cats require a high protein diet and this cat is no exception!
What Do I Feed My Savannah Kitten?
According to this breeder, they feed their kittens a raw diet of ground chicken and supplement their diet with vitamins and minerals. Once the kitten is old enough to chew the raw chicken without any issues, they then supplement the chicken with Wellness wet food, Chicken formula.
Throughout the day, you’ll want your kitten to have access to some type of dry cat food formula they can eat on. It’s best to start implementing a dry/wet diet immediately.
Avoid giving your Savannah a complete wet dry cat food diet, as this causes them to drink less water throughout the day.
5 Of The Best Dry Food For Savannah Cats
These are NOT listed in any particular order, but any of them will help your Savannah cat thrive and live a happy healthy life.
#1 Orijen Adult and Kitten High Protein & Grain-Free Formula
Orijen Regional Red adult cat food made the list of the best dry cat foods for Savannahs because it is a high-quality food that is formulated with 40% nourishing proteins.
The best part is that it is ideal for kittens and cats of all breeds. While it isn’t the cheapest cat food on the market, you can rest assured that your cat is getting the freshest ingredients.
- Biologically appropriate for all life stages.
- Six different sources of fresh, raw animal ingredients including; lamb, pork, goat, fresh mackerel, wild boar, and ranch-raised beef.
- It contains whole-prey ingredients that mirror your feline’s wild prey instincts.
- So fresh it contains 2/3 fresh or raw ingredients and 1/3 dehydrated or dried ingredients.
- One bag contains 90% meat inclusions.
- It does NOT contain any synthetic supplements. Only loaded with fresh meat, cartilage, bone, organs, fresh cage-free eggs, and whole fish.
- It contains copper, zinc, and choline which are beneficial nutrients for your feline friend.
It can be expensive, especially, if you have more than one cat.
The feeding requirements will vary from pet to pet. Start off feeding them twice daily and adjust the amount based on your cat’s needs.
Kittens that are 5 weeks old should be fed no more than 1/4 cup for every pound of their body weight. At 20 weeks, feed 1/8 cup per pound of body weight. At 52 weeks, feed them according to the adult feeding schedule.
Adults can be fed one 8-ounce cup of food daily. You can feed them once daily or split the portion into two separate meals.
Store the food in an air-tight container or seal the bag tightly and keep in a cool dry location to keep it as fresh as possible.
Metabolizable energy: 4060 kcal/kg
44% from fats, 39% protein, 17%, and fruit and vegetables.
#2 Instinct Raw Boost Natural Grain-Free Dry Food
The Instinct Raw Boost Grain-Free Recipe is made with real chicken and your kitty is sure to love this dry kibble. It’s perfect for cats that require a high animal-protein diet like the Savannah cat breed.
Cage-free chicken or farm-raised chickens are the first ingredients, to help provide your kitty with strong bones and muscle maintenance.
- Probiotics: Each bag contains natural probiotic boost, antioxidants, and greater omegas to support a healthy digestive system, cat, skin and immune system.
- Non-GMO: Every bite contains protein-packed meat and non-GMO vegetables and fruit.
- Does Not Contain: wheat, soy, by-product meals, grain, potato, artificial preservatives or colors.
- Made In The USA: The pet food company operates in Lincoln, Nebraska.
- Life Stages: Perfect for full-grown cats and kittens.
Picky cats tend to pick out all the raw pieces and leave the rest of the kibble.
An adult cat should be fed no more than an 8-ounce cup daily. Monitor their eating habits and if they are gaining weight, adjust the amount you are feeding them.
*Whenever measuring your cat’s food, always use a standard 8-ounce measuring cup.
4, 327 kcal/kg, 496 kcal/cup
#3 Crave High Protein Grain-Free Dry Cat Food
The Crave Adult Cat Food With Chicken & Salmon is inspired by a cat’s natural diet. This formula is specially formulated for indoor cats
Real chicken is the first ingredient and your cat will love the tasty flavors. You can choose from other flavors including; Turkey, Chicken & Duck, or Salmon & Ocean Fish.
Regardless of which flavors you get, you can rest assured your cat is getting a complate and balanced diet to help them live a healthy life.
- 40% Protein Diet: To help your cat develop strong muscles, improve digestion, and support a healthy immune system. Your cat will develop a lean healthy body and will have plenty of energy to run and play with their toys.
- No: Corn, wheat, soy, grains, or chicken by-product meal.
- Standards: Formulated to meet the nutritional standards set by the AAFCO Cat Food Nutrient Profiles.
It Didn’t work for some cats that had allergies. If your cat has any type of sensitivities, make sure you monitor them for any type of allergic reaction.
Every cat is different and the amount you feed them will vary according to your cat’s lifestyle.
These feeding standards are in accordance with The Crave Pet Food website. Feel free to adjust the amount you feed your cat, especially, if you start noticing weight gain.
Feline Weight & Service Size:
|Cat Weight||Serving Size|
|8 pounds||1/3 cups|
|12 pounds||1/2 cups|
|16 pounds||2/3 cups|
|20 pounds||3/4 cups|
Metabolizable energy: 379 kcal/cup, 3677 kcal/kg.
#4 Purina Beyond Grain Natural Adult Dry Cat Food
Purina Beyond Grain All Natural Cat food is made with real white meat chicken and other proteins like eggs, peat protein, and chicken meal.
You can expect the freshest ingredients in every batch and bite. Special care and trust is taken in every ingredient that is added to your cat’s kibble.
- It Does Not Contain any artificial flavors or preservatives, corn, wheat, soy, or poultry by product meal.
- Grain-Free: You’ll only find a protein-rich formula to support your cat’s overall health. Perfect for cats with sensitivities.
- Nutrient-Rich: Added amino acid, and Taurine to help support your feline’s vision, and heart muscle function.
- Complete Well-Balanced Diet: Rest assured your cat is getting all the nutrients they need in every bite, there’s no need to add vitamins or supplements unless instructed by your veterinarian.
- Made In The USA: Made and tested in Purina’s home
This kibble is larger than most other kibbles and it can be challenging for cats without teeth to eat.
Purina recommends that you fill your cat’s bowl in the morning using a standard 8 ounce measuring cup and allow your cat to enjoy the Purina Beyond Formula throughout the day.
Make sure that your cat has access to clean fresh water to drink.
4,006 kcal/kg, 454 kcal/cup
#5 Blue Buffalo Wilderness Grain Free & High Protein Cat Food
The Blue Buffalo Blue Wilderness Chicken Adult cat food was inpsired by the diet of the lynx but gentle enough for your domesticated friend.
This version contains BLUE LifeSource Bits, which are a precise blend of minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants that are specifically selected by animal nutritionists and holistic veterinarians.
You can rest assured that your cat is eating the best ingredients to support a healthy immune system, oxidative balance, regardless of their lifestage cycle.
- Grain-Free: Consists of a grain-free and gluten-free formula. You won’t find any corn, wheat, soy, chicken or poultry by-product meals.
- Formulas: The Blue Wilderness cat foods come in different formulas to meet the needs of cats of all life stages.
- Made With Real Chicken: Your cats will love the delicious taste from real deboned chicken and you’ll love the fact that your cat will maintain lean muscle mass.
- LifeSource Bits: Your feline friend will get the perfect blend of antioxidants, minerals, and vitamins to support a healthy lifestyle.
- Complex Carbohydrates: A good blend of sweet potatoes will provide your cat with the energy they need.
- Fibers: Will help keep maintain a healthy weight.
- Contains Taurine: This is an essential amino acid that helps maintain healthy eyesight and heart health.
- Made In The Usa: Their company is headquartered in Wilton, Connecticut and was founded in 2003.
Cost: Some people have complained that it can get expensive, especially, if you have several cats.
Every cat has its own unique individual requirements, so make sure you take that into consideration. However, you can start off feeding them the recommended daily feeding:
Feline Weight & Service Size:
- 5 – 9 lbs: .25 cups to .5 cups
- 10 – 14 lbs; .5 to .75 cups.
3,832 Kcal/kg, 443 Kcal/cup
How Much To Feed A Savannah Cat?
Feeding your Savannah cat will vary from pet to pet. However, most pet owners seem to feed them according to this type of feeding schedule.
If you’re unsure of how to feed your kitty, be sure to consult with your veterinarian. They will be able to come up with the perfect feeding schedule for your newest member of your family.
Feed it age-appropriate food. When you have a kitten, you will want to ensure you’re feeding them kitten formula. Always read the cat food label to ensure that you have chosen the correct age-appropriate food.
Once your kitten turns a year old in human years, you can make the switch to adult cat food. Whenever switching a cat’s food, make sure that you make the transition slowly, to ensure that they don’t tummy issues.
Choose a high-quality cat food brand. Savannah cats require a high protein diet and the first ingredients in the cat food should be any of the following: salmon, beef, veal, or chicken.
A mixture of wet/dry food. Most Savannah cat owners will opt for a wet/dry combo. They use wet cat food as a kibble topper.
Adult Savannah Cats
They should be fed no more than twice per day, depending on the activity level and health of your cat.
When we feed our Savannah cat Skitty, we feed him wet/dry food in the morning. We use the wet food as a kibble topper. We also put a bowl of dry cat food on his cat furniture so he can access it throughout the day.
He only gets wet food once throughout the day, the rest of the day he only eats dry food.
Kittens are more active than adults, therefore, you may want to feed them 2-3 smaller meals throughout the day.
If your kitten is very active and is constantly jumping and playing, you’ll want to opt for three small meals throughout the day.
Your veterinarian will be able to help you come up with a diet plan that meets your kittens’ lifestyle needs.
Pregnant or Nursing Females
You’ll want to feed them up to 3 times the adult maintenance amount to ensure they are getting all the nutrients their body requires.
Final Take Away
These cats have a ton of energy and the personality of a dog. Therefore it’s important to provide them with the proper nutrition that will help them live healthy active lives.
Oh and don’t forget to provide them with plenty of exercise from fun toys and games. You may even want to put a leash on them and take them for a walk to prevent them from getting too bored inside the house all day.
References And Further Reading
F3 Savannah Cat – Savannah Cat Nutrition: What You Need To Know
Savannah Cat Chat – How Much To Feed As They Grow