Going on a long car ride with your cat can be extremely stressful, especially if you don’t have the right cat carrier. Unlike dogs, most cats hate car rides.
Table Of Contents
- 1 What Is The Best Cat Carrier For Long Car Trips?
- 2 How To Shop For Best Cat Carrier Car
- 3 5 Of The Best Cat Carriers For Long Distance Car Travel
- 4 #1 PetLuv Happy Cat Soft-Sided Foldable Cat Carrier Helps Reduce Anxiety
- 5 #2 AmazonBasics Soft Carrier For Dogs and Cats
- 6 #3 Pet Fit For Large Portable Collapsible Cat Cage
- 7 #4 One For Pets Portable Double Pet Kennel
- 8 #5 PetMate Top Loading Two Door Pet Carrier
- 9 FAQ’s
- 10 Final Take Away
What Is The Best Cat Carrier For Long Car Trips?
The best cat carrier is the one that will provide your feline friend with the safest, most secure, and enough space to keep them comfortable so they can relax.
There are so many options to choose from as a consumer, it can become extremely overwhelming. We’ve rounded up some of the best cat carriers on the market as well as the top questions most cat owners have.
This is our favorite soft cat carrier for long-distance travel. Scroll down to check out some of our other top picks.
Make sure you check out carriers for difficult cats that get anxious and hate being in a cat kennel. If you’re still doing your due diligence, check out the cat carrier resources page we’ve put together for our readers.
*This page contains affiliate links to products I recommend. If you purchase something from this page, I may receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you.
- Go-anywhere pet carrier makes transporting your pal easy with roomy design and built-in premium features
- Optimum ventilation and maximum sightseeing with all-around windows, with tear-resistant heavy duty rubber mesh and closable flaps
Should you get a hard or soft carrier?
Does it have enough ventilation?
Is the handle stout enough to support the weight of the carrier?
And so on…
Today, we’re going to be looking at the best cat carrier for long car trips to help make your trip easier. These are some of the best cat carriers based on price, quality, and amount of reviews by consumers.
But first, let’s take a look at some of the different things to consider when looking for the right one when traveling long distances with cats.
How To Shop For Best Cat Carrier Car
Every cat is different and some may enjoy car rides while others not so much.
Cats that hate car rides will do much better in hard plastic carriers plus there will be less damage from all the chewing, biting, scratching, and clawing.
If your cat isn’t particularly bothered by car rides they may be more comfortable in a soft carrier.
I’ve written an article about choosing the right cat carrier size to ensure your cat has enough room. If you haven’t read it, it’s definitely worth a read.
The most important thing to remember when shopping for a cat carrier is to choose one that has enough room for our cat to lie down, sit, stand, and turn around easily.
When traveling long distances, you’ll want to allow enough room for water, food, and in some cases a small box of kitty litter. I’ve put together a list of some of the best disposable litter boxes that are perfect for long car rides.
Always check to make sure that there is ample ventilation for your furry friend.
Don’t forget to put bring some of your cat’s favorite toys, blankets, and maybe even some catnip to keep her busy during the trip.
Before heading out for your destination, make sure that the cat seat is securely fastened to the seat of the vehicle.
5 Of The Best Cat Carriers For Long Distance Car Travel
#1 PetLuv Happy Cat Soft-Sided Foldable Cat Carrier Helps Reduce Anxiety
The PetLuv “Happy Cat” Premium Travel Crate & Cat Carrier will make traveling with your kitty a whole lot easier. Your cat will enjoy all the comfy room and you’ll love the padded carrying hands with adjustable shoulder straps.
This is the only carrier you need as it’s perfect for quick trips to the vet, Sunday drives, or those long road trips. It comes with seatbelt loops to keep the car seat securely fastened in your car.
When you’re done traveling, it folds flat so you can store it away till you’re ready to use it again.
- Weight Limit: Up to 45 pounds, so it can be used for two cats.
- Roomy: Up to 4x the space of most carriers. Your cat will be able to stretch out completely and enjoy the ride.
- Escape Proof: Comes with reinforced seams and locking zippers to keep your cat inside.
- Seatbelt Loops: Makes securing to car seat a breeze.
- Foldable: Folds flat for easy storage.
- Access Panels: 4 altogether, including a top one to make it easy to load your cat inside.
- Ventilation: Lined with heavy duty rubber mesh to allow your cat plenty of ventilation and the ability to see their surroundings. Close the flaps when your cat starts to get jittery.
Doesn’t come with wheels, you will need to purchase the wheeled cat stroller version.
#2 AmazonBasics Soft Carrier For Dogs and Cats
You’ll love all the features of the Amazon Basics Soft-Sided Pet carrier, and so will your feline friend. It is perfect for those long car rides, quick trips to the vet, or when you’re traveling by plane.
It even comes with a fleece pet bed to give your cat an extra layer of comfort.
- Shoulder Strap: Comes with carrying handle and shoulder strap to make carrying your cat around extremely easy.
- Machine Washable: Fleece pet bed can be thrown in the washer machine. You will need to spot-clean the actual carrier.
- Soft-Carrier: Designed to keep your pet secure, protected, and comfortable throughout the journey.
- Loop Handles: Comes with two that function as a luggage strap and seatbelt.
- Wire Frame: Allows you to conform the carrier to your needs without sacrificing comfort.
- Ventilation: Consists of mesh ventilation on all four sides so your cat will get adequate airflow.
- Removable Fleece Bed: Makes it easy to remove and wash in case of accidents.
Max weight for the carrier is 16 pounds.
#3 Pet Fit For Large Portable Collapsible Cat Cage
Your cat will love the Pet Fit Portable Cat Condo for those long car rides.
You can use it whenever you take your cat in your car, even for those short trips to the vet, commuting, or your next long road trip.
Plenty of spacious room so your cat can stretch out and get comfortable. It even comes with a collapsible litter box for those long holiday trips.
- Construction: Designed with a durable steel frame, nylon fabric all premium material for years of use.
- Spacious: Comes in a large (32” x 19” x 19”) interior. Medium interior: (24” 16” x 15”)
- Flooring: Made of soft velvet for added comfort. Still plenty of room to add your kitty’s favorite bed or blanket.
- Litter Box: Comes with it’s own collapsible litter box. (you just need the cat litter)
- Ventilation: Two side windows and a zippered front door, giving your kitty plenty of air and the ability to see their surroundings.
- Easy to Clean: The Pet Fit for Life Cat Condo/Cat bed makes it easy to clean up stains and accidents.
- Multiple Use: Use it indoors or outdoors like a tent.
It is not airline approved so it won’t work if you fly.
#4 One For Pets Portable Double Pet Kennel
The One For Pets Portable Pet Kennel is designed a Canadian company that specializes in safe pet travel solutions.
The built-in straps make it easy to secure safely to your vehicle.
Your cat will have more than enough room in this soft lightweight carrier. You can even detach the double kennel and make two single carriers. Basically, it is two cat carriers in one.
Perfect if you have more than one cat!
- Colors: Black or two-tone
- Seatbelt: built-in straps function as a seatbelt.
- Multiple Uses: Can be used for travel, pet kennel or outdoor/indoor pet cage.
- Washable: Comes with washable mats, which makes it easy to clean up accidents.
- Divider: Can be unzipped to create one huge space or two smaller spaces.
- Pegs On Bottom: Keeps your carrier from toppling over.
A little on the expensive side, but you get so much value for your money.
#5 PetMate Top Loading Two Door Pet Carrier
The PetMet Pet Top Loading Pet carrier is harder covered pet carrier that is for those cats that don’t like to travel and can chew through the soft carriers.
This carrier is extremely durable and the steel door will prevent Houdini from escaping.
It comes in several different colors and you can use it in your vehicle and it is an airline approved pet carrier.
- Top Loading: Makes it easy to place or remove your pet from the carrier.
- Latches: Just squeeze to open or close.
- Handle: Ergonomically built to provide comfort.
- Colors: Choose from 4 distinct colors to match your decor.
- Durability: Steel frame to keep your pet safe.
- Safety: The Petmate plastic kennels are designed with safety and do NOT have any sharp edges that can hurt your pet.
- Airline Approved: Meets most airline requirements but make sure you check with the airlines you fly with before flying.
Small Pet Crate: Perfect for small cats or kittens.
Should I Put My Blanket In My Cat Carrier? If you’re using a hard carrier, you should put a soft blanket on the bottom so they will be comfortable when they are lying or sitting down.
Should I Cover Cat Carrier With Blanket? If your cat is feeling stressed or anxious, a blanket can help them relax.
When your cat is at home and a stranger comes over, their first instinct is to run and hide, especially if they’re frightened.
Covering their carrier with a blanket can help make them feel safe and secure.
Final Take Away
Traveling long distances is stressful enough. Before your next voyage, make sure that you have the right carrier and that’ll be one less thing to worry about.
Best of all, you’ll know that your cat will be comfortable, safe, and secure.
Which will take a load off you, so you can actually enjoy your vacation and spend time doing the things you love!