Cats are a part of our family, so no wonder many people are looking for the cat carrier backpacks to take them everywhere they go. In this article, we look at how to shop for the right backpack for cats, to make your life easier.
Table Of Contents
- 1 What Is A Backpack Cat Carrier?
- 2 Are Cat Backpacks Cruel?
- 3 Recommended Product
- 4 How to Get Your Cat Used To Their Cat Travel Backpack?
- 5 A Guide To Buying A Backpack Carrier For Cats
- 6 Cost
- 7 Openings
- 8 Types Of Cat Carrying Backpacks
- 9 Bubble
- 10 Carrier
- 11 Reviews Of The Top Top Feline Backpacks
- 12 #1 Blitzwolf Capsule Backpack
- 13 #2 Petsfit Durable Pet Bag For Cats
- 14 #3 Lollimeow Bubble BackPack Carrier
- 15 #4 PetAmi Premium Cat Carrier For Small Cats
- 16 #5 PeTrip Cat Carrier For Large Cats
- 17 Where To Buy Cat Backpacks?
- 18 Final Take Away On Pet Backpacks
What Is A Backpack Cat Carrier?
A cat backpack is a simple way to take your feline friend with you when you travel, go hiking, or just enjoy life’s adventures.
A backpack is not only a way to carry your cat everywhere you go, but it can also act as their safe space when they feel scared.
*This page contains affiliate links to products I recommend. If you purchase something from this page, I may receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you.
Are Cat Backpacks Cruel?
No, as long as your cat enjoys being inside and has plenty of room they can be a great way to take your cat or kitten everywhere you go.
Just make sure you let them out at least once every hour or two.
- HOLDS THE MOST WEIGHT OF ANY CAT BACKPACK ON THE MARKET Up to 19.8 lbs for cats, 17.6 lbs for dogs. If you want the most space, including space to full lay down, plus space for things like water...
- FEATURES INCLUDE Clip inside to attach a leash, Side pockets on both sides, Adjustable straps, Mesh sides, top, and air holes in the front, Mat for comfort attached by velcro
How to Get Your Cat Used To Their Cat Travel Backpack?
You can’t expect to put your cat in the backpack and have a pleasant trip, especially, if they’ve never been in one before. Cats are very curious creatures and it won’t take long to get them used to it. This article will show you how to keep your cat safe in their backpack and how to make the introduction.
A Guide To Buying A Backpack Carrier For Cats
Whether you enjoy taking your cat on your daily adventures or just take them to the vet, the right backpack cat carrier can make your life easier. They are easier to carry than a cat carrier and most cats find them less intimidating.
The right one will keep your cat safe and secure while enjoying the great outdoors. That being said, not all backpacks for cats were created equally.
We’ve put a guide to help you research the most important qualities to consider when shopping for one.
The prices will vary significantly. Avoid choosing the cheapest one, as it may not be as well made or as comfortable as a higher-priced one. That being said, you don’t need to buy the most expensive one on the market.
Basically, you get what you pay for. If you know that you’re going to be traveling a lot with your cat, then I’d recommend investing in a premium backpack your cat will love.
If you only plan on using it once in a while, you can start with a cheaper backpack and then transition to a premium backpack when you’re ready to go on more adventures with your feline friend.
A quality backpack will have a sturdy frame that won’t collapse from the weight of your cat. Make sure you find out how much weight the backpack can hold before putting your cat inside, otherwise, they can get injured if the fame breaks.
Most backpacks consist of some sort of fabric lining. It should be constructed of fabric that is strong and tear-resistant. The last thing you want is your cat to claw the inside and tear it to shreds. Opt for the ones that are made of high-quality oxford fabric or leather.
Make sure your cat can’t escape! Backpacks should have security features such as zippers, reinforced seams, and some even have internal leashes as an extra layer of security for your feline friend.
Avoid the ones that use velcro to keep your cat inside. Most cats will be able to escape if the backpack only uses velcro to keep them inside.
Ease of Use
It should be easy to use, meaning it’s not impossible to get your cat in or out of the bag. The bag should have plenty of pockets and storage to keep your cat’s toys and other necessities while traveling.
Kitties can get seriously overheated in small, confined spaces. It’s essential that the bag has plenty of airflow to keep your cat safe.
Mesh windows are great for providing your cat with proper ventilation. In addition, they allow your cat to enjoy the view outside. Just make sure that you can’t claw or chew their way out of the mesh window.
Make sure that the backpack will be comfortable for you to wear for long periods of time. Look for one that has comfortable wide shoulder straps that won’t irritate you.
I love backpacks that have an additional chest strap to help distribute the weight and takes the pressure off your spine.
It’s important for your cat to be comfortable as well. Make sure it has soft padding or fabric for your cat to lay or sit on. Opt for a backpack for cats that has removable padding, which will make it easier to clean when you cat sheds.
Your cat should be able to sit in the backpack properly, move around in it sufficiently and stand up with ease. If your kitty has enough room, they will most likely be comfortable.
Always check the dimensions, size, shape, and recommended weight allowance, to ensure that your cat will fit comfortably inside. Avoid getting one that is too small, as your cat won’t enjoy being hunched over for long periods of time.
Many of the backpacks will open from the top, front or side. We recommend choosing a backpack that can be opened while you’re carrying your cat.
This will allow them to poke their head out and look around. That being said, make sure that the bag has a tether that connects to their harness which will prevent them from jumping out and running away.
Types Of Cat Carrying Backpacks
There are two main types of backpacks for cats. Below you’ll find a quick description of each type to help you decide which one is the right one for you.
These are shaped just like a bubble and are known to be extremely durable. They are composed of a hard-shell exterior that is typically made of high-quality polycarbonate, and looks like a semi-sphere “bubble.”
The bubble backpacks are considered the premium line because they will stand the test of time and will last for a long time.
Your cat will feel safe and secure and while being able to view the outside.
Carrier bags are made of a high-quality oxford fabric that can be used as a backpack or a regular carrier. Most bags will have mesh-covered windows that will enable your cat to get proper ventilation and view the great outdoors.
Reviews Of The Top Top Feline Backpacks
Finding the best backpack for your cat can be time-consuming. That’s why I’ve put together a list of some of the best ones on the market. We’ve reviewed some of the highest quality, feline backpacks that will fit any budget.
These made our review list based on factors such as quality of materials, Amazon ratings, comfort, and other factors. Below you’ll find out recommendation based on the top-rated backpacks on the market today.
- Fashion generous space capsule style and innovative transparent window design can ease your cute friends anxiety, allow them to enjoy the outdoor scenery and don't need to stay home alone any more.
- Eco-friendly Poly Carbonate PLUS durable oxford cloth provide a comfortable and breathable environment for your close friends.
- Please Note the Size before you buy. Size:16''H*10''W*13''L
- Durable,Light and Comfortable for pet parents.Easier to carry your pet to travel
- 【Eye- cataching Clear Window Design】Cats Love to Keep a Close Eye on Their Surroundings. Clear window makes it come true that cats are able to see everything and bring travel more fun.
- 【Be Close to You】You can carry the backpack in the front of your body. The little opening on one side is nice to reach in and pet her when she's nervous. Built-In security leash makes sure the...
- Designed for the best and most convenient travel outdoor experience for you and your pet! Measures approximately 11.5x9x16 inches (LxWxH), Fits most small/medium sized pets up to 8 lbs. Before...
- Your Pet will Travel in Comfort – Well ventilated design for optimal airflow and checking on pet, soft cozy sherpa lining bedding so your pet can relax and rest, collapsible bowl to keep your pet...
- 【Cat Backpack Fashionable Design】: Space capsule design makes this chest bag cool and futuristic. Bubble window can provide security and ease anxiety for your lovely pets. Convenient to enjoy the...
- 【Pet Carrier Large Space for 22 lbs】: This dog bag is 13.4"L x 12"W x 16.9"H, most airline approved under seat.Important: Please Check your airline requirements before traveling. Recommended up...
#1 Blitzwolf Capsule Backpack
If you have a small pet, the Blitzwolf Portable Capsule Backpack Carrier is perfect and affordable. This lightweight handbag is designed to keep your cat comfortable, inside a safe breathable environment.
It is designed from an Eco-friendly polycarbonate and a durable oxford cloth your kitty will love. In addition, it has plenty of pockets on the outside to store your small items like keys, cat treats, and etc.
#2 Petsfit Durable Pet Bag For Cats
The Petsfit Durable Pet Bag is designed for the comfort of pet parents. The ergonomic design makes it easy to carry without excess strain on your spine.
The lightweight carrier is designed with mesh sides to provide proper ventilation and eyesight to the outer world. This carrier is designed for smaller pets up to 15 pounds.
#3 Lollimeow Bubble BackPack Carrier
Your cat will love the Lolliemeow Bubble Backpack Carrier because it is extremely roomy and provides a clear window that makes it easy for your cat to see the outside world. This product is made to last and is constructed with high-quality pet safe materials.
You’ll love how easy it is to carry, the waterproof design, and how easy it is to clean up when your cat sheds. The side door makes it easy to load and unload your feline friend. We’ve written an extensive in-depth Lollimeow Pet Carrier Backpack Review to help you decide.
#4 PetAmi Premium Cat Carrier For Small Cats
The PetAmi Premium Pet Carrier made the list because it has a ton of reviews and is extremely affordable for any budget. This carrier is perfect for most small and medium-sized pets that weigh up to 8 pounds.
The cozy sherpa bedding lining will help your cat relax during those long adventures. It is well-ventilated and it comes with a collapsible bowl to keep your four-legged friend properly hydrated.
#5 PeTrip Cat Carrier For Large Cats
The PetTrip Cat Carrier made the list because it is designed for larger cats up to 22 pounds. It is a great multi-use carrier that can be used when hiking, traveling, sightseeing, camping and etc. In addition, it is airline approved, make sure you check the airlines you’re flying with.
The space capsule design will keep your feline friend happy and stress-free. It is designed from high-quality eco-friendly materials such as; PU leather and oxford fabric. Just wipe clean with a rag after each trip. Read the full review.
Where To Buy Cat Backpacks?
Cat backpacks can be purchased at your local pet stores like PetsMart, PetCo and etc. Some local retail stores such as Walmart, Target and etc may carry them as well.
However, I highly recommend you do your due diligence to find the best deals at the most popular online pet supply stores like Chewy and Amazon.
You’re more likely to get the best deal when you take your time to compare the prices both online and offline.
Final Take Away On Pet Backpacks
As a cat owner, it’s easy to take your feline friend with you wherever you go, especially, if your cat loves traveling. Finding the right carrier will help keep your cat happy and secure while traveling.
I have no doubt that you’ll be able to find the right portable backpack carrier for your cat. The hardest part is making the decision on which one is the right one for you!