If you have a Savannah cat, then you know they can be picky eaters. So it’s important to find the right foods that will provide your pet with the nutrients they need. Let’s take a look at the best canned food for Savannah cats and what to look for.
Table Of Contents
- 1 What Is The Best Food To Feed A Savannah Cat?
- 2 Top Pick For Savannah Cats
- 3 Different Generations of Savannah Cats
- 4 Why Does It Matter When It Comes To Feeding Your Savannah Cat?
- 5 Choosing The Best Wet Canned Food For Savannah Cats
- 6 Buying The Right Cat Food For Savannah Cats
- 7 5 Of The Best Canned Food For Savannah Cats
- 8 #1 Wellness Complete Health Canned Cat Food
- 9 Pros
- 10 Cons
- 11 #2 Wellness Core Natural Grain Free Wet Cat Food
- 12 #3 Blue Buffalo Wilderness Grain-Free Wet Cat Food
- 13 #4 Purina Friskies Wet Cat Food
- 14 #5 Earthborn Holistic Grain-Free Canned Cat Food
- 15 Final Take Away
- 16 References and Further Reading
What Is The Best Food To Feed A Savannah Cat?
The answer is it depends on what the filial number such as F5 or F8 is. Regardless of the filial number, a Savannah cat needs to be fed a high-quality cat food that consists of a combination of wet, dry, and raw meat.
If this is your first time owning this breed, you should consult with your veterinarian so they can tell you which wet foods they recommend.
I’ll be covering some of the best Savannah Cat food as well as what to look for when purchasing online or offline.
Related: Best Dry Food For Savannah Cats
If you’re in a hurry, check out our top pick for Savannah cats!
*This page contains affiliate links to products I recommend. If you purchase something from this page, I may receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you.
Top Pick For Savannah Cats
- CHICKEN PATE: This healthy, natural food for adult cats is an excellent source of high quality proteins and essential fatty acids for complete, balanced nutrition
- SUPERIOR INGREDIENTS: All of our wet cat food recipes include lean meats, healthy fats, fruits and veggies with no wheat, corn or soy, and no added artificial flavors, colors, carrageenan or...
Different Generations of Savannah Cats
As you know, there are several letter and number variations that classify the different types of Savannah cats.
For instance, an F1 kitten would be a first-generation that is removed from the African Serval. An F4 would be the fourth generation that is removed from the African Serval.
Why Does It Matter When It Comes To Feeding Your Savannah Cat?
If you have an F1 Savannah Cat, they will have a digestive system that resembles their African Serval cat ancestor. Therefore, your feline friend will require more specialized (carnivore) cat foods.
It also means that she may not be able to properly metabolize the nutrients in many commercialized cat foods as easily as an F3 or F4 Savannah Cat.
Choosing The Best Wet Canned Food For Savannah Cats
Talk to your breeder and discuss their diet recommendations. Many of them will recommend the following:
Kittens: will require a high nutrient and well-balanced diet that consists of wet, and dry food.
Adults: will do best with a grain-free dry food as well as high-quality wet food.
It is recommended that you choose cat foods that do not contain corn as that ingredient can be difficult for cats to digest and could lead to intestinal problems.
This means, you’ll want to steer clear of many of the commercialized foods, especially, if they contain corn, gluten, and any other grains that are not easily digestible.
Buying The Right Cat Food For Savannah Cats
It’s important to note that Savannah cats tend to be bigger than your normal house cat.
You’ll want to shop for foods that offer them plenty of protein to help maintain muscle and provide them plenty of energy.
Most Savannah cat owners feed their cat’s both dry and wet food because this is what their wild ancestors ate.
Many Savannah Cat owners have noticed that this breed thrives best when fed a high-quality cat food with plenty of protein.
This means that you can opt for commercialized high-quality cat food or start your cat on a homemade cat food diet. Either way, you still need to take the ingredients into consideration when feeding your feline friend.
5 Of The Best Canned Food For Savannah Cats
#1 Wellness Complete Health Canned Cat Food
The Wellness Natural Grain-Free Canned Cat food is perfect because it is made with high-quality meat, which will provide your cat with a great source of protein.
It comes in several different flavors which are; chicken, tuna, salmon, and turkey.
It contains cranberries which are high in Vitamin C to help support urinary health. The fiber, flaxseed, and Omega 3 fatty acids will keep your cats coat healthy and shiny as well as improve their digestion.
The carrots contain beta carotene which is a powerful antioxidant that protects the body from damaging free radicals.
- Grain-free cat food which makes it great for cats with sensitive tummies.
- All formulas are prepared and cooked in an irresistible broth-based gravy that cats can’t resist.
- Made from real broth and contains fresh whole food ingredients.
- Rich in Vitamins A and C to provide your cat with essential antioxidants.
- Prebiotics and Probiotics will aid and support a healthy digestive system.
- Can be used as a delicious dry kibble topper.
Some people have complained that the cans get dented during the shipping process.
When feeding your cat an exclusive wet food diet, give them one can for each 6-8 pounds.
If you’re using the wet food as a topper, reduce the dry cat food by 1/4 cup for every can of wet food.
Refrigerate any unused portions so it does not spoil at room temperature.
#2 Wellness Core Natural Grain Free Wet Cat Food
The Wellness Core Grain Free Cat food comes in 4 flavors your picky cat is sure to love. You can choose from the following flavors;
- Chicken Liver, Turkey, and Chicken
- Lamb, Venison, and Beef
- Duck and Turkey
- Herring, Whitefish, and Salmon
This is great news, especially, if your cat is a picky eater. You should be able to find a flavor they will love!
- 100% grain-free so your Savannah cat shouldn’t have any issues digesting the food.
- Complete and well-balanced diet to provide your cat with the nutrients they need to live a happy and healthy lifestyle.
- No fillers or meat by-products; such as soy, corn, wheat, or artificial flavors or preservatives. Only fresh natural gluten-free ingredients your cat will love.
- It contains probiotics to improve your cat’s digestive system.
It is a little more on the expensive side, but you can rest assured that your cat is getting the nutrients they need.
#3 Blue Buffalo Wilderness Grain-Free Wet Cat Food
This Blue Buffalo Wilderness cat food is high in protein to help meet the needs of your feline friend. Your cat will love the natural chicken flavor and won’t get enough of it to eat.
- It comes in a 24-pack which will last for a while.
- Made with all-natural ingredients that your cat will love.
- Designed to meet the needs of older cats.
- No fillers such as chicken/poultry by-products, artificial flavors, wheat, corn or soy.
- Great to use as a meal topper for dry food.
- Chunks of real fish or chicken to complement the flavorful gravy.
Your cat will love it, you will need to monitor their weight gain.
#4 Purina Friskies Wet Cat Food
The Purina Indoor Adult canned cat food is purrfect for your feline friend. You get 24 5.5 ounce cans and you can choose from several different flavors:
- Chicken & Tuna Casserole With Garden Greens In Gravy
- Chicken Dinner With Garden Greens
- Ocean Whitefish Dinner With Garden Greens In Sauce
- Saucy Seafood Bake With Garden Greens In Sauce
- Homestyle Turkey Dinner With Garden Greens In Gravy
Your feline friend is sure to love all the flavors.
- Cats love the flavorful gravy.
- Chunky and easy to chewy.
- Great aroma your cat will want to eat every bite.
- Complete and well-balanced diet to keep your cat strong.
- Great for kittens and adult cats.
- Improves your cat’s digestive system to help with hairballs.
Some people complained about the cans being dented during the shipping process.
Adult cats should eat no more than 1 ounce per pound of body weight daily.
You can divide their daily portions into two or more meals.
Adjust servings to maintain ideal body weight.
#5 Earthborn Holistic Grain-Free Canned Cat Food
Earthbound Holistic Cat Wet Cat food is grain-free and gluten-free and made with natural ingredients.
Your adult cat will thrive on the holistic nutrition their body needs. This cat food formula provides plenty of protein to help fuel your cat with the energy they need to play and live an adventurous life.
One can contains vitamins, taurine, and omega their body needs to stay healthy. It does not contain any grains, corn, soy, or artificial flavors or preservatives.
Perfect for picky cats or cats that have sensitive tummies.
- Easily digestible and will aid in your adult cat’s digestive system.
- All-natural fibers will help support their gastrointestinal health.
- It can be used as a tasty kibble topper.
- Made from high-quality boneless white meat chicken.
- Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids to help keep their skin and fur nice and healthy.
- A well-balanced diet with vitamins, minerals, and taurine to promote a healthy immune system, and heat and vision health.
- Produced in a human-grade facility with the same processes and ingredients that can be found in human food.
- They rigorously test their products in an independent laboratory.
- The company has NEVER had a recall!
It can get expensive if you have more than one cat. It’s best to buy in bulk and save when you have the option.
Adult cans can eat 1 (5.5) ounce cans for every 4.5 pounds of their body weight daily. Most cats will be fine with just one can daily that can be split up between two different meals.
Always refrigerate any unused portions to keep it fresh and ready for your cat’s next meal.
776 kcal/kg for a 5.5 ounce can
Final Take Away
Savannah Cats are a strikingly beautiful breed that has traits and qualities from both her domestic and wild ancestors.
These cats thrive best on small meaty meals throughout the day. I’ve done my best to provide you with some of the best wet cat foods for Savannah cats.
If you’re still unsure of what to feed your Savannah cat, make sure you consult with your veterinarian. They will be able to set up a good diet plan for your newest member of your family.
References and Further Reading
Sparky’s Spot – Savannah Cat – Breed Profile & Information
Snow Canyon Savannahs – Rockwell, J. – Savannah Cats:Diet